Yesterday’s trivia questions were……
- What is New Hampshire’s nickname?
A. the Mother of Rivers
B. the Granite State
C. the White Mountain State
D. the Switzerland of America
E. All of the above
The correct answer is ‘E, All of the above’. Here’s why:
- the Mother of Rivers as several major New England rivers originate in the NH Mountains, including the Connecticut & Saco rivers
- the Granite State for the extensive granite formations and quarries
- the White Mountain State for the White Mountain Range which includes Mt. Washington and the Presidential Range
- the Switzerland of America for the beautiful mountain scenery
2. What is the NH State Motto?
A. Live Free or Cry
B. Live Free or Die
C. Live Free & Get High
D. Live Free & Don’t Lie
E. Live Free, Laws Don’t Apply
F. Live Free, Reach for the Sky
The Correct answer is, of course, ‘B’, “Live Free or Die” which is generally well known because it speaks to America’s independent nature and origins as well as political philosophy.
The phrase comes from a toast written by General John Stark, New Hampshire’s most famous soldier of the Revolutionary War, on July 31, 1809. Poor health forced Stark to decline an invitation to an anniversary reunion of the Battle of Bennington. Instead, he sent his toast by letter:
- “Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.”
Guide: New Hampshire